Sunday, May 8, 2016

Can't leave well enough alone

It is a well known fact that I am an unrepentant knife whore. As a part of my obsession, I have to tinker with my knives. My latest project involves the easiest thing to mess with, the handles. Both knives are Beckers. The BK-9 came with plastic handles, the BK-11 did not come with any handles. There wasn't anything wrong with the plastic handles, I just didn't like them. So I picked up some pine and oak. The pine was to experiment with and figure out best practices. The oak was for the final product. While I am not done with either set of handles, they are getting close. The handles had to be made from a durable wood, because they are working knives, not displays.

So I finished the handles. I put the nice oak handles on my BK-10 instead of the BK-9. Did I mention I was a knife whore? Now that I see the BK-11 with brass fittings, the BK-10 has the have brass fittings too. Why can't I stop?


2 comments:

  1. They turned out nice. you must have a lot of patience to make them look so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bro. It took several attempts to get them just right.

      Delete